Current bank lending rates Dubai

New to buying shares? Have a question you're afraid to ask? Ask here about PEs and EPSs and PBVs...

Current bank lending rates Dubai

Postby FinanceStudent » Tue 01 Dec 2009 14:43

Hi I am new to this form.. so please forgive me if i ask stupid questions..

Is it true that the lending rates in banks (specially for business finance) have gone up recently in Dubai (after DW standstill) ?

Where can i get a chart or some details to check prevailing lending rates in the UAE?

Thanks.
FinanceStudent
pauper

EIBOR

Postby fayesloan » Tue 01 Dec 2009 18:17

The lending rate likely to be affected is the Emirates Interbank Borrowing Rate pronounced Eeee-bor. The EIBOR's are an attempt to calculate at what general rate banks in the UAE lend Dirhams to each other. HSBC used to calculate them, but now that may have changed and the central bank may be in charge of figuring these out using the interbank bid and ask rates of several major local and foreign banks.
EIBOR's are given for different time periods, or "tenors" as banks like to call these periods. So when you call your banker or your bank's treasury department and ask them about the recent trend in EIBOR, they will have to ask you which one you are interested in. 1 week, One month, Two, Three, Six months or one year? The ordinary bankers would usually have access to the EIBOR's for the day, but the people in treasury will be able to give you historical rates.
If you have access to a Bloomberg or Thomson Reuters you will be able to pull up the EIBOR's. Bank treasury departments nd investment houses will have these terminals.
I've not followed EIBOR's during the DW standstill episode but it would make sense for interbank rates to have gone up.
Let's say you are FGB, and have invested in the Nakheel Sukuk. FGB's treasury would have been expecting money to come in from their Sukuk investment on the 14th or 15th of December, money paid in by one of Nakheel's banks. If FGB were caught unaware by the standstill announcement then they would be short of funds for mid December. So then FGB would increase the rate at which they would OFFER money to other banks. That is also the ASK rate. FGB would also increase their bid for interbank money.

The charts of EIBOR's, which capture the interbank lending or borrowing situation in the UAE, can be gotten off Bloomberg or Thomson Reuters.
fayesloan
horse trader
horse trader

Postby ixtira » Wed 02 Dec 2009 15:33

EIBOR has been minimally affected over the last 7 days ... it has gone from 1.92 to 1.94
ixtira
mercenary
mercenary

Which EIBOR?

Postby fayesloan » Wed 02 Dec 2009 17:44

Are you talking about 1 week or 1 month EIBOR?
Last I checked a few weeks ago 6 months was still above 2.2%
fayesloan
horse trader
horse trader

Postby ixtira » Wed 02 Dec 2009 19:07

Sorry I should have specified ... I was referring to the 3 Month EIBOR

3 Month is at 1.94125
6 Month is at 2.14625
12 Month is at 2.43570

Small changes in EIBOR has a minimal effect on most small / medium sized business and mortgage holders as it makes up a small percentage of the actual rate of interest paid.
ixtira
mercenary
mercenary

Postby 13wiseman » Tue 06 Dec 2011 10:28

You can check daily and historical EIBOR rates by visiting the UAE Central Bank website. On the home page they post the daily and 6 month rate.

Click on this link to view EIBOR rates and to access links to year over year EIBOR historical rates:

http://www.centralbank.ae/en/index.php? ... Itemid=105
"People who succeed face their fears and take action despite them. People who succeed have an undying passion to accomplish and achieve their dreams and goals. People who succeed believe in themselves, are highly focused, are driven, and use fear as a motivator to find a way to achieve"
13wiseman
pauper

Return to Beginners share investment guide and questions