UAE or other Arab country citizenship

Just what it says - come in for a coffee and a general chat about anything - but remember it's a family show :).

Advertisements

UAE or other Arab country citizenship

Postby rene » Sat 23 Jul 2016 22:12

Hello,

I am an entrepreneur wishing to relocate to the Middle East since my wife is Arabic by origin.

The problem is, most governmental institutions require their interpreters to hold the citizenship of one of their member-countries. This means, unless I am an Egyptian, or Iraqi, or Saudi, etc., citizen, I cannot work for local institutions, which would rule out any possibility of having a career in the region.

Would anyone know of an Arab country where citizenship can be acquired?

Thanks for your help !
rene
pauper

Re: UAE or other Arab country citizenship

Postby sharewadi » Sat 13 Aug 2016 14:24

rene wrote:I am an entrepreneur wishing to relocate to the Middle East since my wife is Arabic by origin.

The problem is, most governmental institutions require their interpreters to hold the citizenship of one of their member-countries.

Entrepreneur or Interpreter?

For entrepreneurs I think there are a few countries which allow foreigners to establish a business presence without needing to be a citizen of that country. The UAE for example has many free zones where it is relatively straightforward to set up a company.

For interpreters I don't know any more than what you just said.

Generally citizenship of a country is acquired by one or more of the following methods.

1. By marriage to a citizen.
2. By a period of residence and working in that country.
3. By investing an amount of money in that country.
4. By claiming refugee status and then applying for citizenship.
5. By being born in that country.
6. By being born to a citizen of that country (sometimes only father, sometimes father or mother). Sometimes citizenship can be acquired through grandparents.

I know the last two don't apply to you but just adding them for completeness.

I don't know about other Arab countries but in the UAE number 1 applies to husband of a UAE citizen I think, not sure about non-UAE wife of a UAE citizen.

Number 2 also applies in the UAE in some cases but I think it is quite restrictive, residency period might be 20+ years for a start. I'm guessing here based on anecdotal stories I've heard, nothing concrete.

I don't think number 3 applies in the UAE.

In your case, since you mention your wife is Arabic, I would first investigate the possibility of acquiring citizenship of her country because you are married to her.

Second option would be to look at minimum residence periods or investment amounts. I doubt this is a realistic option for any of the GCC countries since they already have systems in place for expats to reside in those countries indefinitely.

Alternatively, investigate interpreter related jobs for private companies and organisations where the government licensing requirements might not apply or might not be so restrictive.

[edit]Moved topic to coffee lounge since not directly stockmarket related.[/edit]
Please read forum posting guidelines, especially if you have been deactivated.
sharewadi

Advertisements

Return to Coffee Lounge