[Important] DST forum upgrade - please read

Please read this first - especially the disclaimer

Advertisements

[Important] DST forum upgrade - please read

Postby sharewadi » Mon 21 Apr 2014 22:28

The forum software has been upgraded 21 April 2014. Or at least, an attempt has been made. Consider this a trial run. [edit]Forum updated 24 Apr 2014 to original location and should be stable now.[/edit]

[edit]Updated forum moved to same URL as old forum http://www.dubaisharetalk.com/. Maintenance and upgrade seems to be ok but there are still a number of things need to be done, which will take days at least and possibly a few more weeks. Rather than keep the forum in limbo or offline for all that time, the basics have been done to allow reading and posting again with as little risk as possible that anything will be lost (a second forum in a different non-public location is being used for testing before implementing changes on this public forum). However the following might still apply:[/edit]

1. Anything you post may or may not stay in the forum. If this upgrade is stable then it probably will. If not, or something gets messed up, then it might be upgraded again from scratch as of 21 April 2014, which means only posts from before that date will appear.
  2. Old passwords might or might not work. If not, click on the link to reset your password, old ones cannot be viewed or retrieved.
  3. You might or might not be able to log in. If you have problems but can eventually log in, reply here with a comment. If you cannot log in, send me an email (newforum at sharewadi dot com) with your username and the problem or details of any error returned. Do *not* send me your password.
  4. [updated 22 Apr 2014, should be ok now] The search function will not work until I have updated the search index.
  5. The forum was disabled a few days ago, partly due to some internal problems which kind of forced the upgrade. Some topics, posts, usernames, passwords, other information might have been corrupted or disappeared. If there is anything significant which needs to be highlighted, try and reply to this topic. Or send me an email (see #3).
  6. Other functions might not work as expected. First try commenting by replying to this topic. If you cannot, send me an email (see #3). Please do not start any new topics related to the forum upgrade.
  7. New membership is disabled until I am confident the new forum is ok. Sorry about that. Don't email me to ask how to register or when. It will be disabled until it's enabled.
  8. Links to forum topics might or might not be correct. Don't worry too much about informing me just yet, I know there's a problem and I haven't started dealing with it yet. They should be ok again automatically when the new forum is moved back to the original location.
  9. I don't know how long anything will take. If you bother me with questions like "How long will it take to ...?" then it will take longer because it will take time for me to read the question and answer it or ignore it.
  10. The forum might or might not be online at any given time. It might be disabled temporarily when I am unable to monitor it.

Other dos and donts.

1. Please do not post links anywhere to this forum, topics, or posts. I strongly suggest you do not bookmark any pages at present either. When I am confident everything is behaving as it should, I will move the forum to the old location and delete this one.
  2. I would advise you not to make lengthy posts. Assume there is a high risk that anything posted between today and the day the forum is stable again to my satisfaction, will disappear.
  3. Same for charts and images, although if you want to help with testing, then please do post charts to see what happens.

Problems - this list mostly for my reference, of things to fix, but here for you to check before you tell me something I already know.

1. Source tags not available, not working.
  2. Links default to live.
  3. 8) smiley not available.
  4. Images not checked yet if showing as expected.
  5. Forum links - should be automatically fixed when upgrade final except ... link structure different - removed f variable.
  6. Advertising not included yet.
  7. Remove username links.
  8. Allow attachments disabled 2014-04-21 (Board features, Post settings).
  9. Check custom field for new user test (no Custom fields set up yet).
  10. Quick reply function not enabled (Board features > all forums).
  11. Links disabled 2014-04-21 (Post settings), check if applies to existing posts.
  12. New user registration disabled.
  13. Index page with list of latest posts not available.
  14. Old configuration file has additional DB user for DB overload. New one doesn't.
  15. robots set to disallow all (two folder levels). Update: deleted at root level 24 Apr 2014, needs proper update.
  16. Forum rules - rewrite.
  17. Forum rules link - add globally for forums settings forum rules.
  18. [fixed 22 Apr 2014 ... mostly, some breadcrumb trails still incorrect ... fixed now but not sure how, resubmit forum settings for one or two seemed to fix all of them?] Categories and parent forum structure messed up. Subforums end up in wrong forums and categories when restructure attempted.
  19. [maybe faster now - 22 Apr 2014] Category and forum settings and restructure too slow.
  20. [fixed 22 Apr 2014] Some UAE exchanges forums in GCC forum list.
  21. Category descriptions not displayed? Except in settings?
  22. Wrong forum displayed in breadcrumb trail if variable f not in URL.
  23. [added 19 May 2014] Add "view active topics link" to some or all pages. Change name to "view latest posts" (or list of recent or similar)?

Comments

Please reply here with comments about the new forum. In particular:

Page loading speed - any improvement?
User-friendly - more or less than before?
Anything else you can think of.

Thanks, goodnight from me, and goodnight from him.
SW
Please read forum posting guidelines, especially if you have been deactivated.
sharewadi

DST forum updates 22 Apr 2014

Postby sharewadi » Tue 22 Apr 2014 19:25

First post updated with:

Fixes

[*][updated 22 Apr 2014, should be ok now] The search function will not work until I have updated the search index.

[*][fixed 22 Apr 2014 ... mostly, some breadcrumb trails still incorrect] Categories and parent forum structure messed up. Subforums end up in wrong forums and categories when restructure attempted.
[*][maybe faster now - 22 Apr 2014] Category and forum settings and restructure too slow.
[*][fixed 22 Apr 2014] Some UAE exchanges forums in GCC forum list.

New errors

[*]Wrong forum displayed in breadcrumb trail if variable f not in URL.
sharewadi

Re: [Important] DST forum upgrade - please read

Postby sharewadi » Thu 24 Apr 2014 22:08

test before change config to db test
sharewadi

Postby sharewadi » Thu 24 Apr 2014 23:40

Forum moved to back where it belongs. Seems to be working as expected ... mostly. Some updates still needed but new posts should stay now.
sharewadi

Postby thaji » Mon 28 Apr 2014 18:01

sharewadi wrote:[*]Index page with list of latest posts not available.

Hi SW, are you going to bring back the index page with the latest posts? It was very useful.

Thanks
thaji
profiteer
profiteer

Postby giray91 » Mon 28 Apr 2014 20:44

[mode edit]Duplicate post, deleted, see http://www.dubaisharetalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11960&p=50409#p50409[/edit]
giray91
charletan
charletan

Re: Latest posts ... view active topics

Postby sharewadi » Mon 28 Apr 2014 23:09

thaji wrote:are you going to bring back the index page with the latest posts?

I'm trying not to. There's a built in feature - a "View active topics" link which supposedly does a similar thing, but it's not showing the list as I thought it would. Don't know if it's not configured correctly, or there's an error somewhere, or I've misunderstood something. I'll try to remember to update this topic when I figure it out.
sharewadi

Quoting posts and information from other sources

Postby sharewadi » Mon 28 Apr 2014 23:23

The source tags are not available at present. Please use the Quote tags instead when posting material from other sources - add the source and date.

For example change the first tag
Code: Select all
[quote]
to
Code: Select all
[quote="Reuters 28 Apr 2014"]
to display something like

Reuters 28 Apr 2014 wrote:U.S., UK advise avoiding Internet Explorer until bug fixed
By Jim Finkle

The U.S. and UK governments on Monday advised computer users to consider using alternatives to Microsoft Corp's Internet Explorer browser until the company fixes a security flaw that hackers used to launch attacks.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/28/us-cybersecurity-microsoft-browser-idUSBREA3Q0PB20140428
sharewadi

Re: new members registration and activation

Postby sharewadi » Wed 30 Apr 2014 12:50

There are some problems with the forum, I am assuming related to the forum upgrade.

One of them is that I cannot activate new members, nor can I allow new member registration, until another issue is fixed. Even if I want to. So all those emails I am getting about how to register or be activated are pointless at the moment. You can't, and I can't activate anyone anyway.

Actually to be 100% accurate, I probably can do those things, but the way I would have to do that is clumsy, and introduces more potential headaches when trying to fix other issues.

Current members should still be able to post normally, although I have discovered even this might be inconsistent (out of three posts I myself tried to make so far today, two were permitted, one wasn't).

Grrrrrrr :evil:
sharewadi

Postby sharewadi » Mon 19 May 2014 17:36

sharewadi wrote:There's a built in feature - a "View active topics" link which supposedly does a similar thing, ...

Ok the view active topics link should be working as expected now, like a list of latest posts, as in it shows a list of topics with posts made within the past 7 days (default setting). Can be changed with menu at bottom of list to 1 day, 2 weeks, 1, 3, or 6 months, or 1 year.

http://www.dubaisharetalk.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

Link available only on home page by default. Not in categories or forums (I will think about changing this).
Shows latest posts made in all forums. Cannot make a selection of forums, or category, with default setting. However individual forums have topics sorted by last post by default.
sharewadi

Postby sharewadi » Mon 19 May 2014 21:06

sharewadi wrote:Link available only on home page by default. Not in categories or forums (I will think about changing this).

Have added a link to top navigation menu on all pages with text "View recent posts".
sharewadi

Re: New member registrations enabled

Postby sharewadi » Wed 25 Jun 2014 17:31

New member registrations enabled

See this post ...

http://www.dubaisharetalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=11968#p50769

[edit note]Add to first post and delete this one[/edit]

Note to me: forum server response still seems to be slow, although server doesn't seem to completely hang as often (once per day vs several times per day).
sharewadi

Re: UPP Bonus Shares

Postby danpars » Wed 09 Jul 2014 19:16

Sharewadi you sent me two warnings the last two days. What's next a UN intervention under the seventh clause.

Don't worry this will be my last post. Nothing useful going on here. Repetition of news in daily newspapers, and copy paste stuff from chapters in 101 economics course.

People go to CNBC Arabia if you're looking for some meaningful analysis.

As for your blog sharewadi and your warnings.... well you can take them and... and.... USE YOUR IMAGINATION.
danpars
horse trader
horse trader

Re: Board warning issued

Postby sharewadi » Wed 09 Jul 2014 19:57

New forum software allows warnings to be sent. I prefer that to locking topics, deactivating members, ignoring members who ignore forum rules.

danpars wrote:Don't worry this will be my last post.

I wasn't worried. But I'll help you with your prediction.

Posts moved from UPP discussion.
sharewadi

Comments on the new look

Postby Sher » Thu 21 Aug 2014 00:06

Upgraded New Look

Dear sharewadi, I have visited after a long time and was a bit confused since the whole look has changed. Hope it is good and it looks so in many aspects except lot of missing links and stuff but we know that you are working on it. Before I catchup with news my first impression is that it is a bit okward to have the names of the members who posts reply to appear on the right. I believe many might have felt the same and you might have got some feedback regarding this. I prefer to see the members name first before I start reading and for this it is convenient when it is at the end where we start the reading.
Thats all for now.
Regards
Sher
Sher
profiteer
profiteer

Re: DST forum feedback

Postby sharewadi » Thu 21 Aug 2014 20:15

Thanks for the feedback Sher.

Yes, the forum member name on the left was a modification I made myself. I prefer it like that also.

I am trying to avoid making modifications since that was what resulted in some problems with the previous version - the more I modified it, the more difficult it became to upgrade it when necessary, thus resulting in other problems (and some leftover mess after conversion to the updated forum).

It's a trade-off either way with no easy solution. For now I will be leaving it as close to normal installation as possible, sorry that means member names will stay on the right.

But please keep making suggestions and comments, I will read them and consider them.
sharewadi

Re: New server

Postby sharewadi » Sun 21 Dec 2014 22:31

sharewadi wrote:Note to me: forum server response still seems to be slow, although server doesn't seem to completely hang as often.

Server this forum is hosted on seems to have been upgraded by the provider. Not something I did, I discovered it by accident because parts of the forum went offline yesterday.

Seems to be loading faster for me today. Anyone else notice a difference?
sharewadi

Advertisements

Return to Forum disclaimer, announcements, information